Friday, May 5, 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol 2

I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.  I am Groot.

That is my full review, as read by the best character in the movie, Groot.  In the event that you are not fluent,  I will include the translation below.

"Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2" is another hit in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  It is laugh out loud hysterical, but also exciting and even emotional.  You will not be bored for even a second., but that won't be at the expense of a great story.

With the origin story taken care of in the first movie, there is a great family dynamic in the team this time around.  Especially when it comes to their care towards Groot.  As you have probably seen in the trailers, as well as the merchandise through the stores, Groot is Baby Groot in the movie.  Not just in appearance, but also personality.  Vin Diesel returns as the lovable tree creature.  While Groot sticks to his trademark phrase, which could easily become monotone, Diesel delivers the line so that you can understand how he feels each time.

The presence of Baby Groot creates a role reversal of sorts between him and his best friend, Rocket.  In the first movie, Groot was the muscle there to help protect Rocket.  This time, Rocket is looking out for his childlike friend.  Bradley Cooper voices the small but strong raccoon, although he is still not sure what a raccoon actually is.  While many of the movie's jokes are thanks to Rocket, he also displays a compelling, and maybe even surprising, depth throughout.  Not to worry, he has not lost any of the great sarcasm he is known for.

Zoe Saldana returns as the fearsome warrior, Gamora.  As with the others, her character development continues.  Gamora certainly had a strong presence and Saldana is fantastic bringing the character to life.  While her story arc might now be as big as some of the others, Gamora plays a big part in the primary story as well as her subplot involving her sister Nebula.

Drax still has some issues with social interaction.  Although his time with his team seems to have given some sense of what is literal and figurative, but not completely.  It doesn't take long for him to leap before he looks.  Dave Bautista reprises his role as we get to learn more about this character.  At first, he may seem to come off as pretty simple, but there is more to him than that and Bautista portrays it well.

Rounding off the Guardians is Star-Lord himself, Peter Quill.  Played once again by Chris Pratt, Peter struggles with some very human issues, just on a galatic scale.  It would be easy in such a big action movie, for these type of emotional scenes to drastically take from the film's momentum.  However, not only do they avoid that pitfall, it actually fuels you to root for the hero even more.   I can't tell you much about the villain without revealing certain story points.  What I can tell you is that they commit what I believe is the most despicable crime of any of the MCU villains to date.

Michael Rooker is back as Yondu, the Ravager captain from the first movie whose motives were never quite clear.  His performance is fantastic.  Yondu may just surprise you this time.  Not saying if that is good or bad, all depends on what you thought of him last time.

While "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2" certainly continues the franchise's trend as the funniest movies in the MCU, that's not all there is to it. They also manage to deliver a gut-wrenching, yet extremely heart-felt scene.  It is perhaps the most powerful one yet, maybe in part because it comes in such an otherwise hilarious movie.  Don't let that scare you off though, the sequence following is done with just enough humor to keep with the feel of the film.

If you are looking for a thoroughly entertaining and high energy movie to see, "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2" is the choice for you.  You will never be bored and the story is extremely well written to keep it all together.  I have no doubt that Jeremy (my little brother, and the founder of World Wide Blog of Movies) would have called this movie "Amazing" and he would have been right.  He loved the first one and would have felt the same this time.

Friendly reminder, it's a Marvel Studios movie, so don't leave until you know the credits are done.

We really want to hear from you.  When you see it, let us know what you think in the comments section.  Just remember, clean language and NO SPOILERS!!

See you at the movies!


-Brad-

Thank you to ESSEX CINEMAS and T-REX for being the theater of choice for our movie reviews. When you are looking for the best place to check out a movie, make it ESSEX CINEMAS and T-REX at the Essex Outlets Center in Essex, VT! 

The T-Rex Theater is AMAZING!!! With the 60 foot curved screen and 124 speakers which is part of 7.1 Digital Surround Sound, there are 401 extra wide luxury seats with memory-foam headrests making a movie theater trip you will never forget! T-Rex stands for “Theater Real Extreme” 

Also check out movies in Plattsburgh, New York at Cumberland 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment